Fear is an emotion and we are not born with it. Well, then how come we are all drawn into its arms at some point in our lives!?
As kids we used to love trying new things and we had no fear whatsoever in drawing a house or learning how to ride a bike. Nobody expected us to do things perfectly and this gave us the courage to try again and again. We were then seeking the power of freedom. The thing is, as adult we still do. We want to explore new horizons and learn new things, but somehow before we do that, we have to think a lot about details and put everything into perspective and sometimes we find so many reasons to delay the start of something new.
Do any of these sound familiar to you:
- ‘I don’t have enough time to go to the gym or do some jogging’;
- ‘The traffic is too bad and I don’t have money to buy a new car anyway, so why to bother learning how to drive’;
- ‘That salsa class… I could do it, but everyone comes with his/her partner, and because I don’t have one, I better stay at home and watch TV’ and so on…
In fact, in many cases, these will translate into:
- ‘What will people think of me when I go into that gym? – they will all stare at me and judge my body’;
- ‘what if I pass my test and then…boom, an accident happens’
- ‘everybody at salsa is so good, I will never be able to learn those moves’
Do you recognize the main emotion here? Yep – fear of the unknown, fear of being judged by others or fear of failure… and if we don’t pay attention or change something in our lives, this emotion grows as we get older and this can make it hard to achieve our goals or dreams.
The idea is to HAVE FUN with everything we do! Listening to our intuition and understanding what it is that our souls would like to learn or achieve at the moment and go for it. Every start is a first step into the unknown and… how would we know if something suits us if we don’t try it on!?